Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week there’s a new topic for a top ten list.
This week’s topic is Ten Books I Struggled to Get Into But Ended Up Loving or Ten Books That Were A Chore To Get Through or Ten Books I’ve Most Recently Put Down. I went with Ten Books I’ve Put Down.
1. Mechanica – This book had like 30+ pages of flashbacks and descriptions, so I put it down after 10%. I was really disappointed because I’d been looking forward to this one.
2. Awake – I pretty much didn’t like anything within the first 10%, which is when I stopped reading. The characters weren’t entertaining (they were either roll-my-eyes unbelievable or creepy), and there was so much telling happening.
3. Hunter – Lots of info dumping, and I was getting beyond confused while reading this. I might have kept reading if I’d connected with the main character, but I just couldn’t continue past 10%.
4. Dream Things True – The summary, and the fact that this is a diverse book, made me excited to read it. The romance felt off in this one, and some of the characters annoyed me. So I quit reading after 12%.
5. Goodbye Stranger – The audiobook wasn’t holding my interest, and the voice felt pretty childish for a middle grade character. I stopped listening after 10%.
6. Signs Point to Yes – Early into this book, I wasn’t really sure about if I’d continue. I kept going until I got to 31% when I gave up. The dialogue was off, and there honestly wasn’t much happening.
7. Crash – I only made it to 2% for this one. When the main character talked to a dog about romance advice, I couldn’t anymore. Also some of the phrases and words used were driving me nuts.
8. Dead Ringer – 11% is how far I made it into this one. The writing wasn’t holding my interest due to the dialogue feeling unnatural, and too many descriptions.
9. Jersey Angel – The narrator wasn’t that great, but I might have listened longer than 13% if I’d liked the story more. It was kind of weird/crass, and there was way too much backstory/descriptions.
10. Alex As Well – I probably would have read the entire book if the mom hadn’t annoyed the crap out of me. She was beyond terrible! I made it to 36% for this one before I put it down.
Have you read any of the books I listed here? If so, what’d you think of them?