Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week there’s a new topic for a top ten list.
This week’s topic is Ten Books I Enjoyed Recently (last year-ish) That Weren’t My Typical Genre/Type of Book (or that was out of your comfort zone). My typical genre is contemporary romance, but these past 6 or so months, I’ve been branching out more. I started reading fantasy (Harry Potter was about the only fantasy I’ve read before) and retellings. So below I’ve listed 5 fantasy books and 5 retelling books that I’ve read.
1. Throne of Glass – I was recommended this series by someone, so I started with the novellas and then read this book right after. It was really interesting, and I loved Celaena’s character. It was really hard to choose between Dorian and Chaol for my book boyfriend, but my heart leaned slightly more towards Chaol.
2. Crown of Midnight – I recently read this book, and it was amazing. About halfway through, my heart was broken and I felt a ton of feels. My heart didn’t fully recover unfortunately, but I kept going to the third book.
3. Heir of Fire – This was my favorite book of the Throne of Glass series so far. I absolutely love Chaol, Dorian, and Rowan. All the lead male characters are amazing. Even though Chaol has been my favorite, I kind of like Rowan a lot now.
4. The Orphan Queen – I heard about this book on Twitter and decided to give it a try. It was a fast, enjoyable read. I’ve been dying to read its sequel since I finished this book.
5. Daughter of Dusk – I requested this from Netgalley, and didn’t realize it was the second book. Thankfully, the book explained things that had happened in the previous book, so I wasn’t completely lost. Regardless, it was a pretty enjoyable read.
6. Cinder – I don’t think I’ve ever read a retelling before Cinder. After I read this book, I wasn’t sure why I’d waited so long. Cinder was amazing, and I love Marissa’s writing style.
7. Scarlet – With each consecutive book, I fell in love with the characters more. I loved being introduced to the new pairings. Wolf and Scarlet were adorable.
8. Cress – Cress is my favorite book from The Lunar Chronicles series so far, probably because Cress is my favorite female character. Each book gets longer than the last one, but they’re so enjoyable that you can pretty much speed read them in a few days.
9. Fairest – This novella was pretty twisted. It was interesting seeing parts of Levana’s life, to see how she became who she is. And she’s a crazy b*tch in my opinion.
10. A Thousand Nights – This book was a little slower going for me, but I thought it was pretty good overall. I think what really saved this book was learning about the culture and learning about a tale that I don’t know much about (One Thousand and One Nights).
Have you read any of the books I listed here? If so, what’d you think of them? Are there any other good fantasy/retelling books that you’d suggest?